Having a moldy basement can completely ruin the chances of using that space for relaxation, work, or exercise. Not only does mold produce a foul odor and can make your stomach churn just from looking at it, but it can also be very hazardous to the residents’ health.
Basements by nature offer more opportunities for moisture to enter and become trapped in the home without too many options for a natural airing out.
It’s important to stay on top of moisture control in your basement as moisture buildup is the leading cause of mold growth and can be the most difficult outcome to reverse.
Whether you are 100% positive you have mold in your basement and are trying to eliminate it for good, or if you are looking for ways to prevent mold in your basement from the get-go, our highly specialized team at Valor Mold Removal has a few tips and tricks for you!
Quick Prevention Methods
One of the most important actions you can take to prevent mold from entering your basement is by keeping very close attention to making sure there is no water entering the home.
Water can enter the basement through many avenues, including broken pipes, cracks in the foundation, and countless outdoor elements. A few quick assessments around the home that can give you a good idea if water will enter your home include:
- Check your gutters to ensure they are free of debris to prevent blockages and overflow that can direct water to unwanted areas around the foundation.
- Speaking of gutters, adding a gutter extension to the outflow section of the gutter will allow the water to travel further away from the foundation while preventing puddles.
- Avoid planting bushes, trees, or other flora less than 5 feet from the home, as these can shield the foundation area from sunlight, thus resulting in slower evaporation of groundwater.
- Are there cracks in the walls, ceiling, or floor of your basement? Fill these cracks with contractor-approved repair kits and never worry about them again!
Having moisture enter your basement is basically inevitable; it’s all about maintaining how MUCH moisture is entering your basement. If you have windows in your basement, check around the edges and base of the window for condensation.
Condensation is generally found on wooden areas such as trim and along window sills if your basement has them. Condensation is formed when indoor temperatures are warmer than outdoor temperatures; once the warm air hits the cold glass, it’s game on for moisture
Large puddles on the basement floor or constant water buildup in one area of the basement could indicate a leaky pipe, which can easily turn into a much bigger problem than mold. Be sure to look for these telltale signs, especially during the colder months where frozen pipes pose a serious risk.
Here are a few useful practices to keep in mind for preventing mold in your basement:
- Running a dehumidifier, or two, as often as possible will drastically reduce moisture buildup, starving mold of it’s main food source.
- Having constant airflow in and out of the basement is key.
- Maintaining an up-to-date waterproofing system can save you time and money in the long run.
The Dangerous Of Mold In The Home
Mold is a type of airborne fungus that can be identified by its pungent smell and stomach-curdling characteristics. It can grow in many colors and shades, so identifying the many different types of mold can be tricky for the untrained eye.
Some types of mold, such as black mold, are worse than others but still, mold in the home is never a good thing. Because mold is airborne, it can cause serious health problems for a wide range of people.
People who are especially sensitive to mold spores can quickly develop irritated eyes, throat, and other symptoms. Those with immune deficiencies, asthma, or other serious health concerns are at much higher risk for respiratory problems associated with mold spores.
The World Health Organization (WHO) even released a study indicating that seemingly healthy children can develop lower respiratory tract infections if exposed to mold while greatly increasing the chance for bacterial and fungal infections in the lungs of adults.
Conquer Mold Once And For All!
If you feel like you still need help after all our tricks and tips for preventing mold in your basement, reach out today!
We specialize in mold remedy and prevention along with moisture and humidity control to give our clients the full scope of services needed for a healthy home.
Whatever your mold or moisture needs may be, you know you can count on Valor Mold Removal to get the job done right the FIRST time.
Give us a call today at (703) 897-7121 to get started!