Wet Summer Creates Mold Problems!
Recently, Bob Barnard of WTTG Fox 5, interviewed our President, David Myrick.
Because of all rains this summer, mold is becoming a problem. In this interview David explains why this wet summer is causing mold problems.
As David states, when you see mold growing this is just the tip of the iceberg, meaning you are likely not seeing what is growing behind walls.
In fact, the mold you see on the outside of the wall is usually 3 or 4 times worse on the inside of the wall.
This poses a problem, particularly if you decide to tackle the problem yourself. When you tear open the wall cavity, you will likely find a large amount of mold growing and this is why it can be overwhelming and cause more problems for you.
In this video, the mold in this home began growing because water came in through the foundation wall. When this happened, the drywall and insulation on the inside of the wall got saturated with water which eventually led to the growth of mold.
Three Actions To Avoid Mold Caused By Heavy Rains!
The excess rain and the fact that the gutter downspouts were not pushing water away from the house is the primary reason that water came in through the foundation wall.
To avoid this, David recommends the following:
- Clean the gutters.
- Make sure the gutter downspouts empty at least 10 feet into the yard.
- Make sure the grading of the house is positive meaning the water flows away from the house.
This will prevent many issues that could cause flooding in your home.
David also recommends that if you have a sump pump system that you replace it every 5 years.
In addition, if you have a basement drain system, ie. from a walkout basement make sure the drain is clear at the bottom of the stairs. Valor Mold has removed mold from many homes that flooded simply because the drains were not clear at the bottom of the stairs and the accumulation of water caused flooding in the home.
Removing The Mold!
To deal with this mold issue, Valor Mold will not be treating it with chemicals, ie. spraying drywall because this is ineffective and does not adhere to mold removal standards set by the IICRC S520 Standard.
In this case, Valor Mold will follow proper mold removal protocol we explained in a previous blog.
With respect to cost, this job will cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500 which largely depends on how much area is affected and how much cleaning is required.
Watch The Interview With David Myrick
Listed below are some more articles we recommend that you read to learn more about mold.
- How Toxic Is Black Mold?: Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys, is the dreaded toxic mold people worry about. This article explains what it is, why it grows, why it is referred to as the “king of molds” and the top 15 health problems exposure causes!
- Top 10 Facts About Mold You Should Be Aware Of!: Do you know why your home is a perfect food source for mold? This is just one fact about mold. This article lists and explains the top 10 facts about mold!
- What Impact Does Mold Have On Pets?: If you think mold is making your pet sick, this article explains why, what symptoms to look for, and what you should do.
- Top 10 Mold Removal Scams To Avoid!: Want to learn how to protect yourself from mold scams? Here are the top 10 scams, #2, #3, and #6 are common. Protect yourself with these 5 steps.
- Top 3 Reasons Mold Sickness Is A Hidden Epidemic!: Hidden mold and modern day building practices are two key reasons. What do you think the third one is?
- 15 Common Questions About Mold, Health, and Indoor Air Quality!: Wondering why mold is a health concern? This article lists the top 15 questions asked about specific health problems caused by mold.
- Does A Low ERMI Score Mean Your Home Is Safe From Mold?: A Low ERMI Score Does Not Mean Your Home Is Mold Free! This article explains why ERMI is not a valid test in Post Mold Remediation Verification.
- Mold Prevention 101!: One of our goals is to ensure that you have knowledge to prevent mold from growing in your home or business. This article explains the number one action you can take to prevent mold. We also provide you with our top 10 tips to prevent mold. Pay particular attention to tips number 2, 3, 7, and 10!
- How Do I Know Mold Is Making Me Sick?: What Can I Do If I Am Mold Sensitized? Think mold might be making you sick. This article explains how to determine if mold is making you sick and what you can do!
- Top 10 Mold Prevention Tips After A Flood!: This article explains what water damage restoration is. In addition, we provide you with 10 tips to prevent mold after a water damage event in your home.
Got Mold Questions?
Valor Mold is here to help! If you suspect that you have mold, call 703-897-7121 or contact us via e-mail. Peace of mind, just a phone call away. We look forward to serving you! 🙂
Valor #Mold Interview on WTTG Fox 5 https://t.co/UKmdLeXIYG Our President, David Myrick, explains why heavy rains this summer causes mold. Most importantly, he explains how you can prevent this from happening, citing three key actions you can take. PLEASE RETWEET pic.twitter.com/8dEaA9GjJN
— Valor Mold (@ValorMold) August 21, 2018